Overview of the English Language Institute (ELI)
The ELI assists nonnative English speakers with:
- ESL classes via the ESOL department
- ESL counseling
- Language learning support
- Access to services for academic and financial success
- Degree, certificate, and career attainment
Click links below for captioned videos in these languages:
How do I get started at Skyline College?
1. Apply to the college.
- Can you fill out forms in complicated English?Apply here.
- Do you need help filling out forms in English? Visit the ELI in Building 1, room 1218, and the staff will help you apply. Call 650-738-7089 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange to come in.
2. Get an orientation to the college.
- Can you understand a presentation in English? Take the Online Orientation.
- Do you have difficulty understanding a presentation in English? Please call the ELI at 650-738-7089 or email email@example.com to learn of any upcoming in-person orientations. You may bring a friend or family member to assist you.
5. Register for classes on WebSMART. Come to the ELI in Building 1, room 1218. We want to be sure that you get all your classes and have all your questions answered.
Are you a California resident (for one year and one day)? You will be eligible for regular fees.
Are you an out-of-state resident, new resident, or do not have documentation? Your fee structure may be different than for California residents. Please visit the ELI to confidentially determine your residency status.
Program Mission: To empower and transform our global community of nonnative English (ESL) learners.
Program Outcome: Students will be able to access pathways to achieve their academic and personal learning goals.