Welcome to the ESOL (ESL) Department!
Congratulations on your decision to improve your English! Let us help you improve your skills and find your path in life.
The English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) department provides:
- dedicated ESL counseling at the English Language Institute
- five levels of ESL instruction
- evening and weekend classes
- classes in ESL for the Workplace
See the ESOL Course Sequence
How to Get Started at Skyline College
Apply here. If you need help with this process, please come to campus to room 1218, and the staff at the English Language Institute will be happy to assist. You can call 650-738-7089 to arrange to come in.
- Take a Placement Test. You can learn more about placement and make a placement appointment here.
- Get an orientation to the college. Call the ELI at 650-738-7089 to learn of any upcoming orientations.
- Make an appointment to meet with a counselor. Call the ELI at 650-738-7089 to make an appointment, or drop by room 1218.
- Register for classes on WebSMART. The staff at the ELI will be happy to assist you with this process.
- Please note: If you are an out-of-state resident, the fee structure will be different than for California residents.
Do you want to ACCELERATE through ESOL into English?
Learn about the PACE Learning Community!
ESOL Program Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to
- Comprehend, analyze, synthesize, and discuss English texts for the purpose of furthering academic, personal, vocational and civic growth.
- Critically evaluate and modify own written language to enhance academic, personal, vocational, and civic communication.
- Listen effectively, and consistently produce comprehensible spoken English in a variety of academic, personal, vocational and civic situations.
Program Mission: To empower and transform our global community of nonnative English (ESL) learners.