Integrating Renewables into Construction Practices
Skyline College’s Energy Systems Technology Management (ESTM) programs train energy and construction professionals to transform homes and businesses into healthier, more comfortable and efficient places that conserve energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Degree, certificate, and individual courses integrate technical, business, and management training with energy efficiency, building science, and renewable energy (solar). Programs offer pathways to careers in the energy and construction sectors for new entrants to the field. Courses present skill development opportunities for experienced workers, business owners, and contractors.
The core technical coursework in energy efficiency and solar prepares students for industry-recognized credentials from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP).
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program students will be able to:
- Conduct energy assessments of residential buildings, develop scopes of work for and to sell and perform home energy upgrades.
- Design and install residential solar systems; and perform basic cost estimation and sales based on utility costs and rebate and tax incentives.
- Develop portfolios based on current marketing and sales techniques, practices, strategies, and technology applied to case studies in various aspects of the construction industry and energy sector.
- Develop performance and productivity-based business and marketing plans, as well as management strategies and techniques for operations, sales, and finance for driving new business in these industries.
- Obtain industry recognized credentials from the Building Performance Institute (BPI) and the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP).
Graduates can use these skills for careers as:
- Solar Sales representative
- Marketing representative
- Crew lead
- Project or program manager
- Compliance and quality assurance analysts
- Solar installers
- Solar designer
- Energy auditors/raters
- Retrofit technicians and installers
Rita Gulli (Program Director)