General reference databases:
Gale Virtual Reference Center
collection of premier reference eBooks from the Gale publishing company. You can search a single eBook, within a Subject, or across our library's entire Reference Center collection.
Biography in Context
biographical reference database that includes 600,000+ biographies covering more than 525,000 individuals.
Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
widely regarded as the leading authority on the English language. It is an authoritative guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words— past and present—from across the English-speaking world.
General article databases:
Wide range of articles (and other documents) from academic journals, popular magazines, newspapers, reference sources, e-books and other sources in all subject areas
Gale PowerSearch databases
Articles from academic journals, popular magazines, newspapers and books; excellent set of general periodical databases. Best for articles on recent historical topics (within the last 10 - 20 years)
Databases for Persuasive Speeches:
Opposing Viewpoints In Context
Database of viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full-text magazine and newspaper articles on social issues.
- Click on the list (at right) of many social issues to choose from or search for a specific topic not on the list.
- After clicking on a social issue or doing a search, you will see links to "Viewpoint essays" on that issue.
- Additional documents on the issue-- including Reference articles, Statistics, Magazine articles, Primary documents and more-- are available by clicking on the appropriate tabs at the top of the page.
Newspaper Source Plus
More than 860 full-text newspapers, including New York Times (1985 to present), Christian Science Monitor, San Francisco Chronicle, The Times (UK), Toronto Star, USA Today, The Washington Post, The Washington Times (DC), Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle, Philadelphia Inquirer, Seattle Times, etc. Also TV and radio news transcripts, including: ABC News, CBS News, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, NPR, PBS, and more.
Lexis Nexis Academic Universe
Full-text articles from one of the largest databases of news, business and other publications.
- Click on Newsat left of home page
- In the box for: "Step One: Select a news category", select: General News
- In the box for: "Step Two: Select a news source", select: Major Papers
- In the first entry box under: "Step Three: Enter search terms", enterword(s) for your desired topic, e.g. Iraq AND military
- [Optional: To limit searches to opinion and editorial articles, in the second entry box under: "Step Three: Enter search terms", enter "opinion OR editorial OR op-ed OR letter" or enter "speech"]
- Click the Search button