To register for a Skyline College course that has a prerequisite, students must demonstrate
that they have successfully completed the prerequisite course with a grade of "C"
or higher. Follow the steps below if you have successfully completed the prerequisite
course at a regionally accredited college or university outside of the SMCCCD (San
Mateo County Community College District); or if you have successfully passed an AP
(Advanced Placement) Exam with the minimum passing score that is equivalent to the
Prerequisites can be met or waived by:
- Completing the prerequisite course(s) within the San Mateo County Community College
District (SMCCD) system, with a grade of “C” or better, or CR (Credit) or P (Pass);
- Completing English and Math placements within the San Mateo County Community College
District (SMCCD); or
- Completing the prerequisite course at another regionally accredited college/university
in the United States; or
- Meet prerequisites through an Alternate Placement Exam (i.e. AP, IB, SAT, ACT).
Who may want to file a Prerequisite Equivalency Petition?
Students who have completed a prerequisite outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD), as noted in 3 and 4 above.
Students do not need to schedule a Counseling appointment to clear a prerequisite.
What steps should I take to file a petition?
- If you completed a course outside of the San Mateo County Community College District
(SMCCD), you must submit all pages of your unofficial transcript (partial transcripts
will not be accepted). The unofficial transcripts must be noted with your full name and university or college.
- If you completed an Alternate Placement Exam (i.e. AP, IB, SAT, ACT), submit a copy
of your results.
How soon will I be notified?
The Skyline College Counseling Division reviews for approval of this petition. Please
allow 3-5 business days for review. You will be notified during this timeframe by
email. During the peak period of registration, the volume of requests increases which
may impact the response time.
What can I do if my petition is denied?
If your petition is denied, you may elect to challenge the prerequisite course.