Summer Scholars Institute
The Summer Scholars Institute is designed to provide entering Skyline College freshmen with a transformative college preparatory summer experience that will enable them to excel as college students and graduate and/or transfer on time.
During the Skyline College Summer Scholars Institute, students will complete credit-bearing college coursework and participate in activities designed to improve their academic skills, and accelerate their college adjustment.
Model I: 5-Week Session
Program Dates: June 26 - July 27, 2017
Orientation: June 12, 2017
Ideal to improve your math AND English skills, place in transfer level courses, and prepare for college
Model II: 2-Week Session
Program Dates: July 17 - July 27, 2017
Orientation: July 5, 2017
Ideal to improve your math OR English skills, place into transfer level courses, and prepare for college
Program Courses Include:
Career and Life Planning (3 College Units)
Students will gain a comprehensive approach to life and career planning, vocational interests, and insight into their abilities, interests and personality. Students will also identify and refine their educational and life purpose, gain an understanding of the collegiate culture, become acclimated to college and create an academic pathway to success.
Math Jam Workshops
Students will develop a growth mindset, understand and develop their mathematical abilities, problem-solving strategies, and learn Math faculty expectations.
English Jam Workshops
Students will understand and develop their writing abilities, college-level reading skills, higher order thinking skills, and learn English faculty expectations.
Who can participate?
Graduating High School Seniors or GED recipients who intend to enroll as full-time students at Skyline College in the fall semester.
The Summer Scholars Institute operates in June and July of each year.
There are no costs associated with participating in the Summer Scholars Institute. Students will receive free support and services equivalent to more than $2,000 in the summer with additional support provided during the academic year.
- Receive Skyline College course credit
- Priority (early course) registration
- Placement in transfer level math and English courses for the fall semester
- Chrome book Loan Program (summer and academic year)
- Fall Textbook Loan Program (summer and academic year)
- Enhanced academic skills in math, English, and writing
- Increased skill in critical thinking, reading, and reasoning
- Early campus connection, engagement and acclimation
- Faculty, staff and student mentoring
- All expenses covered (lunch, transportation, books/materials, summer tuition)
- 2016-17 Skyline College Promise Scholarship