Financial Aid Ambassadors Serve As:
- Liaisons between the College, local high schools and community partners
- Assistants for financial aid activities such as workshops and Financial Aid Awareness Week
- College representatives at community events such as Cash for College and College Fairs
- Raise awareness of State and Federal Financial Aid and Scholarship Resources
- Encourage low-income and disadvantaged students to apply for financial aid
- Assist students (current and prospective) and their families in overcoming financial barriers
- Communicate with local feeder high schools, community organizations and the general public
Benefits of being a Financial Aid Ambassador
- Build leadership and public-speaking skills.
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of financial aid and scholarship resources.
- Establish relationships with administrators, faculty, staff and students at Skyline College.
- Develop relationships with four-year university representatives and community partners.
Classroom Presentations: Financial Aid Ambassadors are available to conduct classroom presentation on upcoming Financial Aid Office events and general financial aid information. We would love for our Financial Aid Ambassadors to present to your class and help encourage your students to apply for financial aid and scholarships!
Community Events: Financial Aid Ambassadors are available to give presentations, workshops and staff information tables.
If you are interested in having a Financial Aid Ambassador give a brief presentation to your classroom or attend your next event or activity, please email Jocelyn Vila.
Current Financial Aid Ambassadors
Leitu Takapu: Leitu graduated from South San Francisco High School in 2012. She is the youngest of eight siblings and comes from a very grounded and humble family. Her belief of equality, equity and her ability to help others realize their potential makes her an excellent Ambassador. In addition, Leitu’s strengths are her genuine enthusiasm, positive attitude and determination. Leitu says that she loves being in college and she strives to be the best in everything she does. Her goal is to transfer to a California State University and pursue her Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work.
Michael Mark: Michael graduated from Oceana High School, Pacifica. He became a Financial Ambassador in his Fall 2014 semester and enjoys it very much. He loves learning new things and playing music. He is excited to continue studying amongst his peers and also helping them receive money for their education. His future goal is to obtain a doctorate degree in forensic biology. Michael is very friendly and approachable, if you have a question about financial aid please feel free to ask him and he will help you out.
Lesley Bode: Lesley graduated from Terra Nova High School in 2014. She worked as a Federal Work-Study Student Assistant in the Financial Aid Office for the 2014-2015 school year, and she looks forward to her new position as a Financial Aid Ambassador. Lesley loves living near the beach and going to college so close to home. Her goal is to complete her Associates Degree in Psychology and transfer requirements by the end of the 2015-2016 school year. She hopes to become a forensic psychologist. Lesley loves to help her fellow students, so don't hesitate to ask her any financial aid questions you may have.