Welcome to The Learning Center (TLC) at Skyline College!
What can you do at The Learning Center?
- Tutoring support for most Skyline College classes
- Supplemental Instruction to support English, Math, and ESOL courses
- Free workshops for academic skill-building
What you should know about academic assistance or tutoring:
- Students must be enrolled in a Learning Skills Course (LSKL) to receive supplemental instruction or peer tutoring.
- Students are responsible for recording their hours accurately on each visit using the Accudemia sign in stations: For tutoring, sign in directly at the sign-in stations located at each tutoring lab (Math, WRL, etc.). For general studying or main floor computer use, students sign in and out at the front desk computer.
- Academic assistance requires students to take responsibility for their own learning, a Tutoring Contract is signed by each student at their first session with a tutor which defines these terms.
Academic assistance is provided through The Learning Center Labs -- Find out more here!
The Learning Center Fall 2014 Hours and Location
- Monday through Thursday: 8:00am-7:00pm
- Friday's: 8:00am-4:00pm
- Room 5100, 1st Floor, Building 5
- Phone: (650) 738-4144
If interested in applying to be a student assistant, SI Leader, peer tutor, or graduate tutor, fill out an application using the appropriate links below. Questions? Email TLC staff assistant Judy Cheung (email@example.com) or call 650-738-4144.
For position descriptions, requirements and application forms, go to:
The Learning Center Philosophy:
Through a close collaboration between faculty, tutors, and students, The Learning Center empowers students to be responsible, active learners. The Learning Center is a flexible learning environment providing academic support for students in most Skyline College courses through supplemental instruction, peer tutoring, workshops, and computer-assisted learning. We are ready to assist you with writing, reading, math, science, or other college courses!
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program students will be able to:
- Increase awareness of strengths and challenges in academic work
- Seek assistance from various and appropriate services on campus
- Increase personal development in areas such as self-monitoring, time management, persistence, and academic proficiency