Jump Start Summer 2014
Jump Start is a six-week summer program designed to help high school students with college potential to upgrade their skills in English, math, critical thinking, and college success skills. The program is held during the Summer Session; beginning June 16th and ending July 24th.
- Build foundational skills to enable students to succeed in college level courses.
- Provide students with instruction that engages a variety of learning styles and is presented in a non-intimidating manner.
- Provide students with opportunities to explore college and future careers in a realistic and optimistic context.
- Create a supportive environment that highlights student success and motivates students to meet challenges.
- Student must be a California Resident and be enrolled at a North County high school as a junior or senior
- Have a grade point average of 2.0 or below
- Possess the aptitude and potential to pursue college
- Be willing to work cooperatively and collaboratively in small groups
- Be committed to attending classes every day, Monday through Friday, for all six weeks.
- English 819 – 3.0 units of college credit
- Math 819 – 3.0 units of college credit
- Career 100 & Career 410 – 1.5 units of credit
- Learning Skills 800 -- .5 units of college credit
- Classes are held 9am to 3pm, Monday through Friday
To receive college credit, students must receive a grade of C or higher or a P (Pass).
Students will be held to the Student Code of Conduct established by Skyline College and the San Mateo Community College District.
There are no direct costs to participants of the Jump Start Program, but students must be CA residents. Students will be supplied with the academic materials they need. They also receive lunch fees and a SamTrans bus pass, if needed, for transportation to and from the college.
- Nomination form and recommendation letter (completed by teacher, counselor or school administrator)
- Current high school transcript
- Student statement of his/her goals and how this program will help the student succeed in pursuing college
Selection Process and Deadline
- Eligible candidates will be interviewed before final selection.
- The College selects 30 participants from all applicants.
- Forms are available through your high school counselor’s office
- Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
- To contact the Jump Start program directly, call (650) 738-4144 or email Judith Cheung.