Become a Peer Tutor
The Peer Tutor position in The Learning Center (TLC) involves working one-on-one and in groups tutoring students, providing information and referrals to students and faculty, helping students access the services provided in the Learning Center, undergoing tutor training, and working with other tutors in mentoring relationships.
This is a part-time position. If qualifications for obtaining a paid position are met, the starting pay rate is $10.50 per hour.
All Peer Tutors should have the following minimum qualifactions:
- Enrolled in at least 3 units for summer, and at least 6 units fall and spring in the San Mateo Community College District (College of San Mateo, Skyline College, Canada College
- Reliable and able to support the philosophy and mission of TLC at Skyline College
- Enrolled in or completed Learning Skills 110 (LSKL 110) -- Note: Peer tutors will be hired from the pool of students completing LSKL 110 as the budget allows. An applicant does not have to complete LSKL 110 if s/he is CRLA certified or has verifiable proof of tutoring experience and completed tutor training at another college.
- For English and ESOL peer tutors: received a B or better in the transfer-level College Composition course (ENGL 100 at Skyline) and has a recommendation from an English or ESOL faculty member
- For Math peer tutors: received a B or better in Math 120: Intermediate Algebra
Before peer tutors begin tutoring, they must:
- Shadow another tutor to observe good tutoring methods
- Complete designated training, including completion of Learning Skills 110 (LSKL 110)
- Depending upon tutor readiness, an unpaid probationary period may be required not to exceed six weeks
PLEASE NOTE: All Peer Tutors must successfully complete Learning Skills 110 (LSKL 110) after they are accepted for a peer tutor position and before any tutoring can begin.
Apply to be a Peer Tutor
Applicants must complete all portions of the application form below: