Digital Oral History Projects - Creating a Blog Post
Directions for Creating a Post on Blogger and Adding Embedded Videos
1. Check your my.smccd.edu email account and accept the invitation from Skyline College Oral History to contribute to the "ENGL100" or "HIST 201" blog. Then click "Sign In" and then "Accept Invitation."
3. Click: “New Post” (or orange button with pencil icon: )
4. Enter information for your project:
- In “Post Title” box, enter: Interviewee’s name and descriptive title
- In main content area include:
- Introduction to your interviewee and the topic(s) of the interview
- List of Video Segments
- Segment Title (above each embedded video segment)
- Introduction to Segment (above each embedded video segment)
- Optional: Add images, if desired, by clicking on the “Insert image” icon on the task bar: (to the right of the “Link” icon)
5. To embed a video:
Click on the “Insert a video” icon on the task bar: (two icons to the right of the “Link” icon)
- Click: “From YouTube”
- Select a segment that you have uploaded to the skylinecollegeoralhistory YouTube channel by:
- entering skylinecollegeoralhistory and then find your segment on the list
- entering the share URL for the segment (Find the share URL for any YouTube video by click on the "Share" button below the video on the YouTube page.)
- Click the Search button and you should then see the title, description and thumbnail of your video segment
- Click on the video information for your video segment and then click the Select button to embed the video in your blog post
6. After entering information, regularly click "Save" (at upper right) to save your post.
7. To go back and edit your post, click on the button that looks like files (to the right of the orange New Post button) to view the list of posts, then click on "Edit" under the title of your post to edit it..
8. When you have completed your post and want to allow others to view it, click “Publish" (at upper right). You can still go back and edit your post. After editing, click “Update” (at upper right)
How to Embed a Segment of Video from a longer YouTube Video:
1. Follow step 5 above to embed a video
2. Determine the precise start and end time of the segment you want to create.
3. Convert the start and end times from minutes and seconds to just seconds.
For example, to create a short segment that starts at 2:08 and ends at 2:26:
Start: 2 X 60 = 120 + 08 = 128
End: 2 X 60 = 120 + 26 = 146
4. Click the "HTML" button at the left side of the task bar to show the HTML code for the post.
5. Look for code starting and ending with iframe. For example:
<iframe allowfullscreen="" class="YOUTUBE-iframe-video" data-thumbnail-src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nd4T8TjrSy8/0.jpg" frameborder="0" height="266" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nd4T8TjrSy8?feature=player_embedded" width="320"></iframe>
6. Find the following part of the iframe code: player_embedded" and add: &start=xx&end=xx immediately after player_embedded and before the " with no spaces. Make the first xx the start time (in seconds) and the second xx the end time (in seconds), as follows:
<iframe allowfullscreen="" class="YOUTUBE-iframe-video" data-thumbnail-src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nd4T8TjrSy8/0.jpg" frameborder="0" height="266" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nd4T8TjrSy8?feature=player_embedded&start=128&end=146" width="320"></iframe>