2017 Spring Musical
Into the Woods
By Stephen Sondheim
“Be careful what you wish for” is an ongoing theme in Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine’s Brothers Grimm inspired musical, Into the Woods.
The story, introduced and chronicled by the Narrator, follows The Baker and The Baker's wife who wish to have a child, Cinderella who wishes to go the King’s Festival (despite being mocked by her Stepmother and Stepsisters - Florinda & Lucinda), and Jack who wishes his cow would give some milk (so Jack's Mother won't make him sell the cow for food money).
When the Baker and his wife are visited by the neighborhood Witch, who reveals to them that she placed a curse on their family, the two set off on a journey into the woods to reverse the curse. Also in the woods, we meet Little Red, who is trying to visit her Granny, the Wolf who loves tasty little girls, the Witch’s daughter Rapunzel, the Princes chasing after their loves, and a Mysterious Man who talks in riddles. By the end of Act I, mostly everyone has gotten their wish and will seemingly live happily ever after.
In Act II, however, when Jack’s bean stalk brings them a visit from an angry Giant, we see how the consequences of their actions haunt them in disastrous ways. The community must come together to save each other and their kingdom, but sacrifices must be made.
James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim take everyone's favorite storybook characters and bring them together for a timeless, yet relevant, piece... and a rare modern classic. The 1988 Tony Award-winning book and score are both enchanting and touching. - Adapted from MTIshows.com and StageAgent.com
The Spring Musical will be fully staged and performed with a live student pit orchestra in the Main Theater.
The 2018 Spring Musical Performance Dates will be Friday April 20 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday April 21 at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, April 22 at 2 p.m..
Participating in the Spring Musical
Students who missed the October 2017 auditions may still join the production in some supporting and ensemble roles at the beginning of the Spring 2018 semester. Please enroll in the two classes listed below and come to the 1st class meeting on Tuesday, January 16, 2018. There will be a short audition (prepare one of the show excerpts from this link) to learn about your singing and dancing abilities. (Principal roles were cast in October 2017.)
Enrollment in Voice and Dance Classes
Students participating in the Spring Musical must enroll in two classes at Skyline College for the Spring 2018 semester that meet on Tuesday and Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. - 3 p.m beginning on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
- Mus 410.1 AX (CRN 44465) Voice for the Musical Theater Production
- Dance 410.1 BX (CRN 44282) Dance for the Musical Theater Production
Rehearsals take place during class times. Additional rehearsals outside of class times are required during the month leading up to the performances.
Students participating in the Spring Musical MUST enroll in two classes at Skyline College for the Spring 2018 semester that meet on Tuesday and Thursdays from 11:30 a.m.- 3 p.m. beginning on January 16, 2018.
- Mus 410.1 Voice for the Musical Theater Production
- Dance 410.1 Dance for the Musical Theater Production
All rehearsals except those listed below will take place during these class times.
The following dates and times are MANDATORY for participants.
- Friday 4/6 Tech Rehearsal & Cue to Cue Run-through; 12 noon start - end TBA (clear evening)
- Tuesday 4/10 Piano Dress 1 during class time; 11:30 a.m. - clear until 5 pm; (tentative 12:30 pm curtain)
- Thursday 4/12 Piano Dress 2 during class time; 11:30 a.m. - clear until 5 pm (tentative 12:30 pm curtain)
- Friday 4/13 Piano Dress 3; 'Press' invited; call 12 noon - Curtain 2 pm (approx. end 6 p.m.)
- Monday 4/16 Sitzprobe 6-10 p.m. (Musical run-through with pit orchestra); Call at 5:30 pm for mics
- Tuesday 4/17 Full Dress 1 Curtain 7:30 p.m; Call 5 p.m.
- Thursday 4/19 Full Dress 2 Curtain 7:30 p.m; Call 5 p.m.
- Friday 4/20 Performance 7:30 p.m.; Call 5 p.m. (LOBBY opens at 6; Theater Doors open at 7)
- Saturday 4/21 Performance 7:30 p.m.; Call 5 p.m. (LOBBY opens at 6; Theater Doors open at 7)
- Sunday 4/22 Performance 2 p.m.; Call 11:30 a.m. (Strike immediately afterwards until complete - bring work gloves and boots; approx. end 12 midnight) (LOBBY opens at 1; Theater Doors open at 1:30)
- Friday 5/11 Skyline College Spring Dance Show; 12-4 p.m. and 5-10 p.m. (Shows at 2 and 7 p.m.)