Prerequisite Equivalency Process
Beginning with the Fall 2011 registration, many courses with prerequisites requirements are subject to computerized prerequisite checking.
Registration is blocked for students who do not meet prerequisite and/or corequisite requirements.
For information on Prerequisite, Corequisites, and Recommendations, click here.
Prerequisite requirements can be met in five ways:
- Complete the prerequisite course(s) within the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD) system, with a grade of “C” or better, or CR (Credit) /P (Pass).
- Complete placement tests within the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD).
- Complete the prerequisite course at another regionally accredited college/university in the United States.
- Complete a placement test at a California Community College (CCC) outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD). (note: placement tests results vary by college. If you have taken a placement test at another CCC, you may submit your results for review using the Prerequisite Equivalency/ Reciprocity of Placement Petition).
- Meet prerequisites through the College Board Advanced Placement Exam (AP) Exam(s).
Who may want to file a Prerequisite Equivalency/Reciprocity of Placement Petition?
Any student who has completed a prerequisite outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD) – as noted in 3, 4, or 5 above.
What steps should I take to file a petition?
Complete the Prerequisite Equivalency/Reciprocity of Course Placement Petition. Paper applications can be found at the One-Stop Center, Building Two, Second Floor.
Attach the following documents to your petition:
- If you completed a course outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD), you must submit all pages of your unofficial transcript (partial transcripts will not be accepted).
- If you completed a placement test at a California Community College outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD), you must submit a copy of your placement recommendation (Note: The math placement test must have been completed within the last two years; the English placement test has no time limit).
- If you completed an AP test, submit a copy of your AP scores issued to you by the College Board.
Submit your petition with the supporting documentation to the One-Stop Center, Building Two, Second Floor. Documents can be submitted in-person, via fax at (650) 738-4195, or via email.
Students who wish to enter Chemistry 210 without first completing the Chemistry 192 prerequisite can complete the CHEM 210 Prerequisite Equivalency Form.
When will I know the status of my petition?
Your petition will be reviewed within 2 -3 working days. You will be notified of the status of your petition, either by telephone or email, within this time frame.
What can I do if my petition is denied?
If your petition is denied, you may challenge the prerequisite course. For information on the Prerequisite Challenge Process, click here.