Students are admitted into the program once a year only, for each Fall semester. The application period is open January 15 - May 1.
Approximately 25 students are admitted to the program each year. Selection is based on criteria approved by the Skyline College Administration and consistent with state regulations (see application instructions). Contact us for further information on the Respiratory Care Program. Full-time registration is required, and all courses must be taken in sequence. Credit may be given for previous coursework.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
The following must be completed with a “C” or better, or in process of completion.
- Algebra - Math 110 or 112 or equivalent
- Chemistry (with lab) – CHEM 192, 410 or equivalent
- Human Anatomy (with lab) – BIO 250 or equivalent
- Medical Terminology – HSCI 484 or BUS 485 or equivalent
- Eligibility for Skyline College ENGL 846 or equivalent
STEP 1: Apply to Skyline College
Follow the steps to enroll at Skyline College.
STEP 2: Complete the Respiratory Care Online Application
Applicants must complete the Respiratory Care Associate Degree Online Application. Please be prepared to answer all questions in one sitting. The application will take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.
To fill out the application, you will need:
- Information ready to complete prior educational history and prerequisite grades, such as copies of transcripts.
- Information ready to complete a brief medical history on any chronic conditions or communicable illnesses.
- An approximately 500-word personal-statement ready to copy and paste that answers the following prompt: In your own words, please write a description of yourself, your goals, and why you chose respiratory care. Please address your strengths and weaknesses.
- Digital copies (PDF or Word files) of all unofficial transcripts showing completed prerequisites.
STEP 3: Submit Three Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit three (3) letters of recommendation. Applicants should download the Standard Form which describes what should be included in the letter. A general letter is acceptable addressing the qualities in the Standard Form. Please read the instructions on the reference form before giving them to the recommenders. The following are suggested categories for recommenders:
- Dean, counselor, principal
- Teacher or instructor
- Health care workers
- Employer or supervisor
- Leaders of community organizations (volunteer, church or club)
Recommendations from close friends or relatives will not be accepted. Completed recommendation forms may be uploaded during the application process, or brought/mailed to: Skyline College, SMT Division/RCP Program, 3300 College Dr, San Bruno, CA 94066.
Please Note: Your application will not be considered COMPLETE until you receive verification that all three steps are complete.
Questions? Contact Nadia Tariq, Respiratory Care Program Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We recommend that minimum entrance requirement courses be completed within 5 years of applying to the program. High school coursework cannot be accepted to meet prerequisite requirements.
To determine specific General Education requirements, applicants are encouraged to contact Counseling. We suggest that you complete most GE requirements prior to submitting your application.
Students selected into the program must complete a satisfactory social security referenced background check, drug test, physical examination, and documented immunizations.
An Associate Degree is required to take the Respiratory Care Practitioner Exam administered by the California Respiratory Care Board.