For Transfer Students
Students wishing to transfer from another surgical technology program or graduates of a non-accredited programs may apply to challenge the coursework for SURG 440 and/or SURG 441. All applicants must meet the requirements for admission into the Skyline College Surgical Technology Program and possess a current Basic Life Support-C recognition card.
To challenge SURG 440, students must receive a score of 78% or better on an exam covering Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Medical Terminology, Pathophysiology, and O.R. Pharmacology. Students who successfully challenge SURG 440 may enroll in SURG 441 on a space-available basis.
To challenge SURG 441, students must receive a score of 78% or better on an exam covering Aseptic Technique, Instrumentation, Patient Safety, Surgical Equipment and Supplies, and Wound Closures. They must also demonstrate clinical skills competencies at the level of a beginner or better for the following skills:
- Body Mechanics
- Passing Instruments
- Sponge & Needle Counts
- Aseptic Technique
- Handling Sutures
For Practicing Surgical Technologists
Practicing Surgical Technologists who are not certified may become eligible to sit for the certification exam. In order to challenge SURG 440 and SURG 441, enroll in SURG 442 and SURG 443, and sit for the certification exam, practicing Surgical Technologists must do the following:
- Follow the Surgical Technology application process
- Once accepted, obtain a written agreement between the Program Director of the Skyline College Surgical Technology Program and the candidate’s O.R. manager that outlines the duties, rights and responsibilities of both parties with regard to the candidate’s credentialing process
- Successfully challenge SURG 440 and SURG 441. If your challenge is denied, you must complete those classes.
- Once you’re challenge is approved, enroll in SURG 443
- To successfully pass SURG 443, submit documentation of having performed the role of the scrub assistant for a minimum of 516 hours during the scheduled semester and submit weekly clinical evaluations completed by a representative of the Skyline College Surgical Technology Program for the above documented hours
- Enroll in and successfully pass SURG 442: take and pass the Final Exam with a grade of 78% or better. The exam will cover the following topics:
- Preoperative Diagnosis
- Incisions and Wound Closure
- Sutures and Needles
- Accessory and Specialty Equipment
- Postoperative Complications
Upon completion, you will receive a Certificate of Completion and the eligibility to sit for the national certification exam.