1) How much does a passport cost?

Current passport fees can be found at the State Department website. The passport application acceptance facility at Skyline College charges a $35 execution fee.

2) Where is the Skyline  College Passport Office located?

We are located at Skyline College, in Building 19, Room 412, 3300 College Drive, San Bruno, CA 94066

3) What are your hours of operation?

During the school year, we accept applications Monday through Friday by appointment only. During the summer, the office is open Monday through Friday. Check our current times of operation here. We are closed on weekends, and whenever the Skyline College campus is closed due to a public holiday.

4) Why do I need to make an appointment?

 We use appointments for passport applications as scheduling an appointment sets aside that period of time for you to apply without standing in line or feeling rushed.

6) Do you accept credit or debit cards?

 All fees to Skyline College must be paid by credit or debit cards.  All fees payable to the U.S. Department of State must be paid by check or money order. These fees are non-refundable.

7) Where can I obtain a certified copy of my Birth Certificate?

If you need to order a certified copy of your Birth Certificate, you can visit http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm .

8) What do I do if there is no birth record for me on file anywhere?

  1. If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth record on file, you will need several different documents to substantiate your citizenship. You will need:
    1. A letter of no record issued from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and what years were searched for your birth record.
    2. Early public records to prove your birth in the U.S.
  2. If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the U.S. embassy or consulate, you may apply for a U.S. passport. You will need:
    1. Your foreign birth certificate showing both of your parents' names
    2. Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship and
    3. Your parents' marriage certificate

9) I am visiting another country and need a visa. Can you help me with that?

Visas are travel documents issued by individual governments. As such, we are unable assist you with the visa application process. You will need to contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country you wish to visit. Should you need to take passport photos for your visa, we can assist with this service. Passport photos are $8 inclusive of taxes.

10) What is a passport card?

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

11) Do I need the passport book or the passport card?

The short answer - if you're flying anywhere, you need the book. If you're taking a cruise, check with your cruise line to see what sort of documentation will be needed at the various ports of call. If you still have questions, please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

12) Can I apply for the passport card and passport book at the same time using the same application?

Yes, simply check the appropriate box at the top of the form to indicate that you would like to apply for both products.

If you already have a passport book and are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for your new passport card by mail using Form DS-82. You may renew your passport book at the same time using the same form.

13) Why was my passport application declined?

Unfortunately, the passport application acceptance facility here at Skyline College does not issue passports, does not decide who does and does not get a passport, and is unable to inquire about the status of an application on your behalf. If your application was declined, the Department of State will contact you (usually by letter) with instructions on how to submit any additional documentation they may require. It is important that you follow those instructions.

14) Do I need to expedite my application?

That is your decision. We recommend taking a look at the current processing times and using your best judgment.

15) How long is a passport valid?

  1. If you were age 16 or older when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
  2. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

16) Do I have to provide my Social Security number on my passport application?

  1. Yes. 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f) requires you to provide your Social Security number, if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport.
  2. If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your passport application. You will also be subject to a $500 penalty.

17) Can I wear eyeglasses in the photo?

Eyeglasses cannot be worn in passport photos after 11/01/2016.

18) Can I wear a hat for the photo?

You may only wear a hat or head covering if you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.

19) Can I wear a uniform in my photo?

Uniforms, clothing that looks like a uniform, and camouflage attire cannot be worn in the photo except in the case of religious attire that is worn daily.

20) How many photos must I submit with my passport application?

You must submit one photo with your passport application.

21) What type of paper should I print my photos on?

Photos must be printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper.

22) Does my photo have to be in color?

Yes, your photo must be in color. A black and white photo will not be accepted.

23) How recent must my photo have been taken?

Your photo must have been taken within 6 months of submitting your application and reflect your current appearance.

24) What size must my photo be?

The photo must be exactly 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm).

25) What pose should I be in for my photo?

You must directly face the camera. Profile shots will not be accepted. Your expression should be neutral with both eyes open and directly facing the camera. Photos with exaggerated expressions and squinting will not be accepted.

26) Does a minor under 16 need to have parental or legal guardian consent when applying for a passport?

Yes. For a complete explanation of Parental Consent for a Minor's passport application go to Children Under 16.

27) How do I renew my child's passport?

The passport application process for minors, under age 16, is the same whether or not the minor has had a passport in the past or not. The application must be submitted in person at a passport agency or authorized passport application acceptance facility. It cannot be renewed by mail. For more information go to Children Under 16.

28) What if I am applying for a passport for my child who does not have a Social Security number yet?

You will need to submit a signed declaration for your child which includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: (Child's full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

29) How large should my head be in the photo?

Your head should be between 1 inch and 1-3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of your chin to the top of your hair. If you are submitting a digital image, then your head should be between 50% and 69% of the image's total height from the top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin.

30) Can a parent or guardian appear in the photo of a child?

No, the child must be the only person in the photo. Nothing used to support the child should be in the camera's frame, including the arms or hands of a parent holding the child.

31) Is it acceptable for my child's eyes to be closed in his/her photo?

It is acceptable if an infant's eyes, particularly a newborn's, are not, or are not entirely, open. All other children must have their eyes open and looking straight ahead towards the camera.

32) What is the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)?

It is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. To access the STEP program, go to https://step.state.gov/step/


If your question wasn't answered here, the Department of State also has an FAQ page.  You are always welcome to call our office at (650) 738-4252 or email skylinepassportservices@smccd.edu for any questions or concerns.