Assessment is about finding your starting point in college. If you plan to earn a degree or certificate, transfer to a four-year institution, or take a math or English course, you may need to assess your skill level before you register for classes.

As a California Community College student, you have the right to begin your education in transfer-level English and math courses, which may allow you to finish these courses within a year and graduate faster.

English Language Learners at Skyline College also have the right to access transfer-level coursework and academic credit English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) coursework at Skyline. 

Skyline College offers students multiple measures assessment to determine your appropriate English/ESOL and math course recommendations. Your next step depends on your student type.

How to get started

Please start with your English/Math Assessment Request if you are:
  • First-time college student
  • High school graduating senior (completed at least the Fall term)
  • Transferring to Skyline College from another college (other than Cañada College or College of San Mateo)
  • Returning/ Former students from Skyline, CSM, or Canada
  • Continuing student from Skyline, CSM, or Canada
Please start with scheduling an Assessment Appointment if you are:
  • English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) student
  • International student
  • Referred by a Skyline College Counselor
Please start with your High School English/ Math Placement if you are:
  • 9th - 12th grade Concurrent enrollment student


*When emailing us your assessment related inquiries, please include your full name, student ID number, and whether you have submitted your English/Math request (Assessment for new Skyline College students/ Placement for concurrent High School students) 

Hours of Operation

Hours of Operation

*Hours are subject to change without notice. 

Mon - Thu 9 am - 5 pm
Fridays closed

Location: Bldg 19-119

For inquiries & scheduling, email us at