Crime Prevention and Safety
"Be Alert" While on Campus
Skyline College is an active place well into the evening hours since afternoon and evening classes are popular with many students. The campus is well-lit and the Skyline College Campus Public Safety Officers make regular patrols during the evening hours to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff. Below are safety tips:
Stay alert and don't be distracted! Be aware of your surroundings.
- Trust your instincts. Leave an area if you are uncomfortable.
- Walk facing traffic and walk only in areas that are well-lit.
- Walk with friends or classmates whenever possible.
- Become familiar with the Campus and meet the Campus Public Safety Officers.
- If you are uneasy about walking to your car after dark, call the Campus Public Safety at 650-738-7000 and request an escort. They will be glad to assist you.
Crime Prevention Tips
Crime Prevention incorporates the theory that if crime is to be reduced, we must lessen the opportunity for crime. Below are some helpful suggestions to do this.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight inside your vehicle.
- Take them with you, lock them in your trunk, or leave them at home.
- Lock your vehicle and take your keys out.
- Park in well-lit areas
- Never leave your books or any item unattended. This includes in libraries and other study areas.
- Report any suspicious or unusual activities or people to the Campus Public Safety Office.
- Give your student ID number and a copy of your schedule to a parent, spouse, roommate, or your child's school and/or caregiver in case of an emergency. This will allow Police/Public Safety to get in touch with you quicker, if an emergency arises.
- Mark textbooks and other school materials with your Student ID Number
No Campus Public Safety Office can operate without the cooperation and support of the people it serves. The concept of crime prevention invites all segments of the community to actively participate in the reduction of crime.
Partnership with San Bruno Police Department
Skyline College and the San Mateo County Community College District have a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for information sharing with the San Bruno Police Department. Download the most recent MOU with the San Bruno Police Department.