Mission - Vision - Values
To empower and transform a global community of learners.
Skyline College inspires a global and diverse community of learners to achieve intellectual, cultural, social, economic and personal fulfillment.
Education is the foundation of our civilized democratic society.
Campus Climate: We value a campus-wide climate that reflects a ‘students first philosophy' with mutual respect between all constituencies and appreciation for diversity. Both instruction and student services are dedicated to providing every student with an avenue to success.
Open Access: We are committed to the availability of quality educational programs and services for every member of our community regardless of level of preparation, socio-economic status, cultural, religious or ethnic background, or disability. We are committed to providing students with open access to programs and responsive student services that enable them to advance steadily toward their goals.
Student Success: We value students’ success in achieving their goals, and strengthening their voices as they transform their lives through their educational experience.
Academic Excellence: We value excellence in all aspects of our mission as a comprehensive community college offering preparation for transfer to a baccalaureate institution, workforce and economic development through career technical education programs and certificates, Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, basic skills development, and lifelong learning. We are committed to academic rigor and quality with relevant, recent, and evolving curriculum and well-equipped programs that include new and emerging areas of study. We are dedicated to an educational climate that values creativity, innovation and freedom of intellectual exploration, discovery, thought, and exchange of ideas.
Community Connection: We value a deep engagement with the community we serve and our role as an academic and cultural center for community including business, industry, labor, non-profits, government and the arts. We are dedicated to maintaining a college culture and institutional climate that is warm and welcoming to all.
Participatory Governance: We value just, fair, inclusive, and well understood, transparent governance processes based upon open and honest communication.
Sustainability: We value an institutional culture that represents a strong commitment to environmental sustainability and justice. We are committed to the tenets of sustainability “To meet present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.”
- Develop the scope, quality, accessibility and accountability of instructional and student service offerings, programs and services to lead the San Francisco Bay region in transferring students, awarding degrees and certificates and reflecting social and educational equity.
- Enhance institutional effectiveness in planning and decision-making processes through cooperative leadership, effective communication and participatory governance.
- Fulfill the college's role as a leading academic and cultural center for the community.
- Provide human, physical, technological and financial resources to ensure excellent educational programs and student services in order to support students in attaining their educational goals and improve institutional effectiveness.
- Recruit, retain and support a world-class faculty, staff and administration that is committed to ongoing improvement through access to opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
- Play a central role in the preparation of the region's workforce and expand networks and partnerships with businesses, the community and non-profit organizations.
- Establish and maintain fiscal stability and alignment of programs and services to the core Mission - Vision - Values of the college.
- Internationalize the educational experience by enriching the college with a diverse community of learners representing the collective resources of humanity and engaging in a vibrant dialogue that engenders an understanding of others.