Become a Peer Mentor
The Skyline College Learning Center (TLC) is hiring Peer Mentors for the 2017-2018 year!
PEER MENTORS help students (mentees) identify and utilize the campus and community resources necessary for academic and social success at Skyline College. They help create conditions where mentees feel comfortable sharing their perspectives on challenges and setting goals. In addition, they also build strong relationships with mentees through small group activities and one-on-one meetings.
- Provide regular support to assigned mentees for the academic school year.
- Schedule and facilitate individual meetings with mentees.
- Schedule weekly check-in sessions where mentees can discuss any issues, questions or concerns (minimum 2 hours/week).
- Attend all required trainings.
- Develop a Mentoring Action Plan (MAP), which will guide mentoring activities.
- Check e-mail DAILY and respond to coordinator and administrative staff e-mails within 24 hours.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of common campus resources and refer mentees as necessary.
- Submit weekly reports detailing all peer mentoring work completed
- Represent TLC at campus and community events.
- Work with campus units to conduct outreach to incoming students.
Mandatory Requirements for Mentors
- Must demonstrate respect for, and awareness of, the diverse cultures, languages and experience of Skyline College students.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Must maintain at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA and be enrolled in at least 6 academic units.
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute events in collaboration with other mentors and campus units.
- Must be a continuing student and have successfully completed a full academic year at Skyline College
- Must have an updated Student Educational Plan (SEP) on file.
Training & Time Commitment
- All Mentors MUST be able to do the following:
- Complete the interview process
- Attend training during the week preceding the start of each semester. Training is paid.
- Mentors may work up to 10 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.
- $14.00 /hour
How to Apply
To apply, you must submit the following materials (materials will be uploaded through the Online Application).
- Online Application
- Resume – your most current resume
- Unofficial transcript (can be downloaded from Websmart)
All applicants will be notified about their application status once the application is complete. Please contact TLC with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.