Placement Testing / Assessment
Find your starting point.
If you plan to earn a degree or certificate, transfer to a four-year institution, or take a math or English course, you may need to assess your skill level before you register for classes. Placement tests help you start college at the right level and the tests evaluate your math, reading and writing skills. You will have access to your placement results on your WebSmart account. Your counselor will use this information to help you choose the classes that are right for you.
Placement tests are available for Math, English, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), and Spanish (for Spanish classes only). We also offer proctoring services for Prerequisite Challenge Tests and Make-Up Exams for Skyline College courses.
Please note, students are exempt from testing if they have an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science or higher degree or if they have already passed a college English or mathematics course from another college/university.
Make a Testing Appointment
Testing takes place in 2-hour sessions. Appointments are scheduled for one placement subject per 2-hour testing session. Students can make an appointment online to guarantee a seat, or students can walk-in and take a test on a first-come, first-served basis. It is advised that students arrive 15 minutes prior to their testing time for check-in.
NOTE: All placement tests and make-up exams are held at the Assessment Center in Bldg. 2, 1st floor, Rm. 2116.
NOTE: Please remember to complete your Skyline College Orientation before scheduling an appointment.
Students can schedule an appointment online through WebSMART. Simply follow these steps:
- Log in to WebSMART
- Click "Schedule Appointments" under "Student Services."
- Click "Skyline College Placement Test Appointment"
- Click "Make Appointment"
- Choose your desired test, and click "Continue"
- Select the Day and Time that fits your schedule, and click "Find Appointment"
- Confirm/Input your information, and click "Continue"
- Make sure to note your appointment information
NOTE: A valid photo identification is REQUIRED before any test is administered.
Please bring the following items to your testing session:
- A verifiable Photo Identification with printed full name and recent photo
- Student ID Number (G-Number)
- Orientation Certificate of Achievement (except fo continuing students)
- New Student (SSSP) Checklist and Counseling Worksheet (if applicable)
Please DO NOT bring the following to your testing session:
- Electronic devices (mobile phones must be powered off during the test)
- Food and beverages
- Personal calculators
- Children (Children of any age cannot be left unattended at any time. Please arrange childcare needs prior to testing)
All tests are untimed, but estimations are as follows:
- Math: UNTIMED, approximately one (1) hour
- English: UNTIMED, approximately one hour and thirty minutes (1.5 hours)
- ESOL: UNTIMED, approximately two (2) hours
Please note, appointments are scheduled for 1 placement subject per 2-hour testing session.