1. Why do I need a placement test?
The purpose of placement is to ensure that you begin your college experience at the appropriate course level and to help facilitate future success in your college career. Your test results will assist you and your counselor to select appropriate classes.
2. Who needs placement?
- New and returning students having a goal of transferring to a four-year college or university.
- Students earning a vocational certificate
- Students earning an Associate degree
3. Are there special accommodations for students with disabilities?
Yes, students who have a physical, visual, communication or learning disability may be eligible to take your placement test at the DRC computer lab. We recommend you contact the DRC (Disability Resource Center) located in Building 5, room 5132 or call the DRC office at (650) 738-4280.
4. What do I need to do prior to taking the placement test(s)?
You must file an online application for admission to Skyline College.
5. What is a New Student (SSSP) Checklist?
A self-guided checklist that explains the 5 enrollment steps: admission, orientation, placement test, counseling, and registration. You may print this checklist from an attachment emailed to you after the completion of an online application from Admissions & Records.
6. How long do I need to wait to take a test after submitting my application?
Please allow 24-48 hours processing time for the online application prior to testing to obtain a student ID number (G00......).
7. Can I make an appointment to take the placement test?
You can sign-up for a test date here or visit the Assessment Center at Bldg. 2, computer lab 2116.
8. What do I need to bring on the day of the test?
Your valid photo identification (ie: state-issued photo ID card, passport, school issued photo ID card, employee ID card, military ID, etc.)
9. I took an English, Math, or ESOL class/ placement test, but I dropped or withdrew from it, can I retake the placement test?
Yes, if you did NOT receive a final grade for the class, not currently enrolled in the subject you are retesting for, or you have not taken the same test twice within the past two years, you may take the placement test(s) again.
10. I forgot my photo ID, can I still take the placement test?
No. You MUST present a valid photo identification with your full name printed.
11. I do not have a photo ID. What should I do?
You may bring other official documentation, such as passport or yearbook.
12. Do I need to pay for the test(s)?
No. All tests are free of charge for students with the intention of attending Skyline College.
13. How can I review sample questions prior to testing?
Please review preparation and tutorials from the online resources link.
14. What happens if I fail my placement test?
The placement test are NOT assessed as Pass or Fail. The placement tests are NOT admission tests. The tests examine your present competency level in English/ ESOL or Math.
15. How many questions are there in the placement tests?
Computerized English Test (No Time Limit)
Part I: Reading Comprehension - 23+ questions
Part II: Sentence/ Writing Skills - 25+ questions
Computerized ESOL Test (No Time Limit)
Part I: Reading Skills - 20+ questions
Part II: Language Use - 20+ questions
Part III: Listening Skills - 20 questions
Computerized Mathematics Test (No Time Limit)
adaptive to student skill levels (starting at Algebra)
16. How early should I come to take the placement tests?
Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment for check-in and allow ample time to complete the appropriate tests.
English placement test: approximately 1.5 hour
Math placement test: approximately 1 hour
ESOL placement tests: approximately 2 hours
17. Can I retake the placement test? If so, when?
If a student does not accept the recommended placement, he/she may retake the same placement test one (1) additional time within a two-year period. In order to retake the same test, the student must not have completed a course in the sequence and must wait a minimum of 14 days from the initial test date. Math placement test results are valid for two years.
18 . Can I use a calculator or dictionary when taking the placement tests?
No dictionary. Approved calculators only- see staff. Online calculator is available for use.
19 . When will I get my test results?
You will receive a printed copy of your test results immediately upon completion. You may also check your test results on WebSMART the following business day.
20. Can you tell me my test results over the phone or via e-mail?
No. Test results are confidential and are disclosed via WebSMART or in-person with valid photo identification.
21. What should I do after I finish my placement test?
If you are a new or returning matriculating student, please proceed with orientation prior to scheduling your placement appointment. After the completion of both your English/ESOL and Math placements, please proceed with scheduling an appointment with counseling. A counselor will assist you with your class selection and educational planning. If you are exempt from placements and//or orientation, please check your WebSMART account to view your registration appointment.
22. I took an placement test at another California community college. Can I use the test results and be exempt from the placement testing at Skyline College?
Depends on when and where you completed the placement tests. Please make an appointment with a counselor by calling 650-738-4318 and the counselor will assist you.
23. I do not know how to use a computer. Can I still take the placement tests?
No. Please schedule a counseling appointment to see a counselor at Bldg. 2 to assist you with your class selection and educational planning.
24. I'm currently taking classes at a different college, but I want to take the placement tests and possibly take a higher level of English, Math, or ESOL course at Skyline College. Can I do that?
Yes. You may first want to bring your unofficial transcript and placement results from the other college and see a Skyline College counselor to check on it's present equivalency. You may be not need to take the placement test.