Jump Start Program
Jump Start is a six-week summer program designed to help high school students with college potential upgrade their skills in English, math, critical thinking, and college success skills. Students will receive concurrent enrollment at Skyline College, receiving college credit for the courses they take when they complete the program. The program is held during the summer, beginning in June and ending in July each year.
Students can expect to:
- Build foundational skills that enables them to succeed in college level courses.
- Receive instruction that is presented in a non-intimidating manner and engages a variety of learning intelligences.
- Receive opportunities to explore future career paths and related college majors in a realistic context.
- Be a part of a supportive environment that fosters self-awareness and self-responsibility, sets clear expectations and motivates students to meet challenges.
- Student must be a California Resident.
- Student must be enrolled at a North County high school as a Junior or Senior next Fall.
- Student should have a grade point average of 2.00 or below.
- Student must be nominated by a teacher, counselor, or school administrator
The Jump Start Program curriculum includes the following concurrent enrollment courses:
- English 819 – 3.00 units of college credit
- Math 819 – 3.00 units of college credit
- Career 100 & Career 410 – 1.5 units of college credit
- Learning Skills 800 – 0.5 unit of college credit
Each course is graded separately. In order to receive college credit, students need a grade of C or higher or a P (Pass).
There are no direct costs to participants of the Jump Start Program. Students receive classroom supplies, daily $6.00 lunch voucher, and SamTrans bus pass, if needed for transportation to the college.
Monday through Thursday from 9:00am to 3:00pm.
Application and Nomination Process:
Students may apply for the Jump Start Program by following these steps:
- Complete The Jump Start Application . See your high school counselor to obtain the application or download the application online .
- Obtain letter of recommendation from counselor.
- Obtain current high school transcript.
- Submit the application packet via email or postal mail with required documents by
April 17, 2017.
- Application Packets can be emailed to Michael Stokes, TRiO Director
- Complete application packets must be postmarked by the April 17, 2017 deadline to be considered. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Send the application packet to:
Application packet should include: Jump Start Application, Letter of Recommendation, and high school transcript.