Free Tax Preparation Assistance
SparkPoint at Skyline College is proud to offer free tax preparation for qualified community members at its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site as part of the United Way's Earn It, Keep It, Save It program.
VITA sites assist taxpayers who earn low to moderate incomes (generally, $53,000 and below) in preparing their own tax returns.
IRS-certified volunteers receive training to help prepare basic tax returns.
Here is what to bring:
- Photo identification (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
- Social Security card or ITIN for each family member
- W-2 forms for all jobs held in the previous year
- All 1099 or 1098 forms and any other tax forms
- Child care provider information
- Landlord's Name, Address and Phone number for the CA renter's credit
- A voided check or bank account and and routing numbers for direct deposit
- Last year’s tax return
For an appointment contact us at 650-738-7035.
Interesting Fact: A Skyline College student who completes required coursework in Accounting may apply to the California Tax Education Council to become a Registered Tax Preparer in California. Under the supervision of Accounting instructor John Miller, CPA, these Registered Tax Preparers staff the VITA Center. This means that the community receives a valuable resource and students gain certification and experience before finishing their certificates and degrees.