About SparkPoint at Skyline College
Skyline College is located in San Bruno, California, just south of San Francisco. Located in San Mateo County, the campus sits on a beautiful bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
In San Mateo County, home to some of the most affluent neighborhoods in California, one-fifth of the county’s population struggles to make ends meet. A better life through higher education is too often out of reach.
To better serve these individuals and their families, Skyline College became the first college in California to host a SparkPoint Center.
Modeled on the Annie E. Casey Foundation's "Centers for Working Families," SparkPoint is part of a regional United Way of the Bay Area network of financial education centers designed to serve individuals and families who are working to achieve financial self-sufficiency. Students and other members of the community utilize SparkPoint services and resources to achieve financial self-sufficiency.
Services and resources are bundled and sequenced to improve outcomes.
SparkPoint Student Learning Outcomes - For students, SparkPoint works to achieve the following student student learning outcomes:
- Students will engage SparkPoint services and resources by completing the SparkPoint Welcome Form and identifying SparkPoint services to pursue.
- Students who engage in Financial Coaching will improve their financial stability by identifying financial goals, creating a budget and taking up two or more SparkPoint Services.
Skyline College Institutional Learning Outcomes
- Critical Thinking - Students will be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills in problem solving across the disciplines and in daily life.
- Effective Communication - Students will be able to communicate and comprehend effectively.
- Citizenship - Students will be able to use knowledge acquired from their experiences at this college to be ethically responsible, culturally proficient citizens, informed and involved in civic affairs locally, nationally, and globally.