Federal Work Study
Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based and federally-funded program that allows students opportunities to earn money through employment to help pay education expenses.
Due to limited funding, students that meet minimum requirements are not guaranteed FWS award.
- FWS will be offered on a first-come first-served basis while funds are available
- Hourly rates between $16.20 - $21.37 depending on position, job duties, and length of employment
- All positions require background checks and Tuberculosis (TB) screening/test
Federal Work-Study Process
Make sure you meet all the minimum requirements.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid and indicate interest in the FWS program on the application.
- Register in a minimum of 6 financial aid eligible units at Skyline College.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Have satisfied all financial aid requirements
- On WebSMART, select Financial Aid > My Eligibility > Student Requirements to view any Unsatisfied Requirements. Submit or complete any unsatisfied requirements. If all requirements are Satisfied, you are eligible.
- Have Unmet Financial need
- On WebSMART, select Financial Aid > My Overall Status of Financial Aid to view your estimated cost of attendance and awarded financial aid. Your cost of attendance minus your awarded financial aid is your unmet need.
If you have questions regarding the minimum requirements, contact the FWS Coordinator.
Search and apply for FWS positions.
- View open positions on Skyline College Student Job Board
- Job postings give instructions on how to apply. Apply for multiple positions!
- If you are selected, the hiring supervisor will contact you for an interview. Visit our Career Readiness & Job Placement website for upcoming job-readiness events.
You are offered the position and you accept!
- Complete the Student Assistant Welcome Packet (Hiring Packet)
- Schedule LiveScan Fingerprinting and Tuberculosis (TB) screening/test
- Complete FWS Orientation and FWS Contract
- Submit an FWS Employment Request Form request to FWS Coordinator
- Your position will be placed on the Skyline College Student Job Board
- Review applications and conduct interviews
- To ensure FWS eligibility, you may send list of applicants to FWS Coordinator for confirmation
- Notify FWS Coordinator of hired student(s)
- FWS Coordinator will work with student to complete Student Assistant Welcome Packet (Hiring Packet), LiveScan Fingerprinting and Tuberculosis (TB) screening/test, Orientation and Contract.
- FWS Coordinator to send PAF to supervisor for appropriate signatures (i.e. Dean)
- FWS Coordinator will send completed PAF included with student start date and Student Assistant Welcome Packet to Payroll
For more information regarding the Federal Work-Study, contact: