Personal counseling offers brief confidential individual counseling, crisis intervention, mental health and substance abuse assessments, and community referrals.
The goal of counseling is to support students in identifying and managing personal concerns, learn more about themselves and make positive life changes. Talking about issues and concerns in a safe and confidential environment can enable students to become more successful in college and life. Benefits of counseling include relief from distressing symptoms; improved emotional health; the acquisition of new approaches to problem solving and decision making; more satisfying interpersonal relationships; and increased insight and understanding of thoughts, feelings and behaviors.
The Personal Counselors Office is staffed by licensed mental health professionals. We are open to all currently enrolled Skyline College students and is free of charge. Drop-in counselling is available without an appointment Monday through Thursday from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Referral information for longer term counseling is also provided.
The personal counselors do not answer their phones while in session with a student or check messages when they are off campus. Please leave a message and a counselor will return your call as soon as possible.
|Beverly Muse, LMFTemail@example.com|
|Liz Llamas, LMFTfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Perry Chen, LCSWemail@example.com|
All information is confidential and will not be released or discussed with anyone, including faculty and staff, without your written permission. However, by law there are conditions under which disclosure is mandated:
- If the counselor is ordered by a judge to testify or release mental health records
- When there is reasonable suspicion of child abuse including sexual exploitation as defined by AB1775, or abuse to a dependent or elder adult.
- When you communicate a direct or indirect threat of bodily injury to another.
- When either you or one of your family members informs us that you are a threat to seriously harm yourself or another (this includes the Skyline College community)
- When disclosure is required pursuant according to a legal proceeding.