Middle College Steps to Enrollment
Middle College is a program for students who attend high schools in the South San Francisco Unified School District or for students living in San Bruno that attend high schools in the San Mateo Union High School District. YOU MUST APPLY TO MIDDLE COLLEGE FIRST, AND THEN, UPON ACCEPTANCE, APPLY TO SKYLINE COLLEGE.
Middle College 2nd round of applications are now being accepted. Apply to Middle College now and turn in all forms ASAP.
STEP 1: MIDDLE COLLEGE APPLICATION
- Middle College Application: A student interested in the Middle College program must complete the "Online Application". Be sure to answer all parts of the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Please recognize this application is separate from the Skyline College application.
- Letters of Recommendation: You must have three staff members from your high school fill out these recommendation
- Give the "Counselor Recommendation Form " to your guidance counselor.
- Give the "Teacher Recommendation Form " to a teacher familiar with your behavior, attendance, participation, and performance in a classroom setting.
- Give the "Assistant Principal/Dean of Students Recommendation Form " to a staff member familiar with your behavior on campus and at school functions, usually the Assistant Principal who monitors discipline.
- Allow your counselor, teacher, and administrator enough time to respond to all sections of the recommendation form, and all staff members need to return the recommendation forms to your guidance counselor.
- Parent/Guardian Recommendation Form /Spanish Version : Your parent/guardian must respond to all sections and sign.
- Transcript: You must include an unofficial high school transcript in the packet and a six-week or 12-week progress report (if available); you can get an unofficial transcript from the student data analyst at your high school.
- Attendance Report: You must include a high school attendance report for spring 2017 and fall 2017 semesters.
Consult the school attendance staff member to receive a copy of this report.
The application, letters of recommendation, transcript, and attendance report must be submitted to your guidance counselor.
- Writing Example: You must submit a typed 1-2 page essay, double-spaced.
- Topic: Discuss a challenge you have faced in the last 4 years. How did you overcome the difficulty or what lesson did you learn from the situation? Send the essay to email@example.com or fax to (650) 738-4373.
STEP 2: STUDENT AND PARENT/GUARDIAN INTERVIEWS
Students who successfully complete all portions of Step 1 AND pass the paper screening will be scheduled for an interview with their parents/guardians and members of the Middle College staff. The student and parents/guardians will be asked a series of questions related to the student’s commitment to the Middle College. Interviews take approximately 15 minutes. Students will be notified by email if they have been accepted into the Middle College at Skyline College program.
STEP 3: SKYLINE COLLEGE APPLICATION
Skyline College Application for Admission: Upon acceptance to the program, all Middle College students must apply for admission to Skyline College, by opening a CCC Account. *BE SURE TO CHOOSE CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT ON THE ENROLLMENT INFORMATION PAGE.* Once you have completed and submitted the application online, you will receive an email confirmation from Skyline College with your Skyline College student ID number or “G-Number,” along with information about how to access your WebSMART account. If you have previously attended or are currently attending Skyline College you do not need to reapply, but you must inform us that you have a Skyline College ID number.
STEP 4: SKYLINE COLLEGE ORIENTATION AND PLACEMENT TESTING
New students are required to complete both the new student orientation and placement testing before being cleared to register for classes. This is standard for all students new to Skyline College.
- New Student Orientation is a workshop designed to provide students with the information, resources, and tools needed to be successful at Skyline College.
- Orientation is available to be taken both in-person and online. To find more information, please visit the Skyline College New Student Orientation Page. You must achieve a passing score of 80% to be able to print a Certificate of Achievement. If you do not pass on your first attempt, you may repeat until you get a passing score of 80%. PLEASE PRINT OUT THE CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT.
- Placement testing will evaluate proficiency in both English and Mathematics. Placement
tests help you start college at the right level, evaluating your math, reading and
writing skills to help place you into the correct courses.
- To schedule your Placement Testing appointment, log-in to your WebSMART account. You will need your G number to make an appointment. On the day of the exam, you must bring your G number and photo ID (i.e., California ID, CA driver’s license, or student body card), and your Certificate of Achievement. Be sure to arrive on time as the assessment center has strict start and end times for the test. You will receive a printout of your results at the end of the tests. For more information on how to schedule your appointment, please visit the Assessment Center webpage.
STEP 5: SCHEDULING OF COURSES
Once you have completed your placement testing and orientation, you must then schedule an appointment with to register for both high school classes and college courses. This can be completed contacting Martina Center by telephone at (650) 738-4403.
For contact and additional information visit the Skyline College Counseling Division webpage.