Students can request have a phone, zoom or in-person counseling, tutoring, Academic Coach Meeting, use TRiO study hall, computer lab, borrow equipment or meet with the Director.
If you have scheduled an in-person counseling meeting with a Brianna Clay or Janelle Reza, read the Counseling Details for information to prepare for your meeting.
If you are interested in applying to the program, you can do so online as well. To request a meeting, please email Jacquie Espino or Michael Stokes.
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded program that offers free comprehensive services designed to promote academic success. Our goal is to provide first-generation students, low-income students and/or students with physical or learning disabilities with resources and services to earn a certificate or graduate with an associate degree, AND transfer to a four-year university.
The program offers eligible students a rich variety of services intended to support their academic, personal, and social needs as they work to achieve their dreams. Such services include:
- Academic, career, and personal counseling
- Transfer planning and campus visits to four-year institutions
- Priority registration
- Academic support, such as tutoring, study skills, workshops, mentors, and access to computers
- Financial aid, financial literacy, and scholarship assistance
- Cultural enrichment activities, such as museum visits, events, and performances
To receive tutoring assistance, TRiO students should be enrolled in one of the following courses:
- MATH 650: Mathematics Supplement (0.5-1 units; Pass/No Pass)
- ENGL 650: English Supplement (0.5-1 units; Pass/No Pass)
- LSKL 800: Supplemental Learning Assistance (0.5-1 units; Pass/No Pass)
- LSKL 803: Supervised Peer Tutoring (0 units; Noncredit)
- The TRiO Director is Michael Stokes. TRiO applicants must complete an intake interview with the TRiO Director to determine eligibility to participate in the program.
- The TRiO Counselors are Brianna Clay and Guillermo Villanueva. Students need to meet with a TRiO counselor twice a semester to update their educational plan, discuss academic support needs, and review transfer plans.
- For help with English, Reading, and ESOL, the English Lab Coordinator is Chanel Daniels. TRiO students should make appointments with Professor Daniels to devise a study plan at the beginning of the semester.
- For help with math, the Math Lab Coordinator is Miranda Wang. TRiO students should make appointments with Professor Wang to devise a study plan at the beginning of the semester.