California State University Transfers
Skyline College provides transfer opportunities to any California State University, however each university may have their own unique deadlines and requirements. It’s important that you research the requirements of the CSU to which you’d like to transfer.
PLEASE NOTE: Students interested in transferring to a CSU should consider pursuing an Associate Degree for Transfer, which guarantees admission with junior standing into the CSU system. However, this may not be the best option for students who which to transfer to a specific CSU campus since it does not guarantee admission to a specific major or campus.
Base Requirements for Transfer to a CSU:
To be eligible for transfer as a junior to a CSU campus, students must complete the following requirements:
- Complete 60 CSU transferrable units with a “C” average (2.0) in all transferable college units attempted.
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended, e.g., eligible to re-enroll.
- Complete the four basic subjects (part of the overall general education requirements)
with a “C” or higher:
- Speech Communication, Area A1(Comm. 110, 127, 130, 140, 150)
- English Composition, Area A2 (Engl. 100)
- Critical Reasoning, Area A3 (Engl. 110, 165, Phil 103, 109, 200)
- College Mathematics, Area B4 (Math 130, 150, 153, 200, 201, 222, 241,242, 251, 252, 253, 270, 275, Psyc. 171, Bus 120, 123)
- Complete at least 30 of the 39 general education units that comprise the total CSU general education pattern. See your Counselor for campus-specific information.
- Visit the Transfer Center or our website resources for a CSU GE Breadth or IGETC handout which lists which courses to fulfill general education requirements.
Applications for admission in Fall: Due Oct 1 – Nov 30 of the previous calendar year.
Applications for admission in Winter/Spring: Due Aug 1 – Aug 31 of the previous calendar year. (Please note: Due to budget cuts, many CSU campuses do not admit transfer students during their Winter/Spring semesters. Please check on Cal State Apply or on specific college websites to determine if they will offer Winter/Spring admissions.)
How to Apply:
Apply online at Cal State Apply during the application filing period.
PLEASE NOTE: Students interested in transferring to a CSU should consider pursuing an Associate Degree for Transfer at Skyline College, which guarantees admission with junior standing into the CSU system. However, this may not be the best option for students who which to transfer to a specific CSU campus.
Is your major impacted? Impaction means that there are more applicants than there are spaces available. If your major is impacted, additional requirements may apply. Find out if your major is impacted.
Local Admissions Areas: Students who meet minimum admissions requirements get priority admissions based on their residency. This does not guarantee that they will be admitted into their desired major. Students who live in San Mateo and San Francisco Counties have two campuses with the local admissions guarantee, San Francisco State University and CSU East Bay. Get more information on local admissions and impaction info.